Saturday, August 10, 2013

Oops...my bad...

There is that moment when you have just gotten your dear little offspring to sleep and you tip-toe out of the room and breathe a sigh of relief. You then go to another room and enjoy your spouse’s company. A false sense of security surrounds you, and you decide it is a good idea to take a shower. You take your time in the bathroom, relishing the tranquil solitude (yes, you fellow moms know what I mean) and then turn on the water for your shower. After about 3.491 seconds of aquatic respite, you hear the shrill mandrake cries from the next room, and your shoulders slump down and you feel as if someone has defecated in the car and you have to go clean it up. You try to prolong your solitary shower but the cries become more and more frantic and you hear your spouse attempting to soothe the wee banshee but even this will not suffice. You groan, kicking yourself for thinking you could get away with it, and towel off hurriedly before entering the next room to fulfill your duty as human pacifier. “Noooo...” you think to yourself, “don’t wake up, don’t wake up, don’t wake up” “you’ve only had 40 minutes since 8:30 this morning and its 3:00! That’s not enough! You (I) need (you) to sleep more!!” You then play dead at her side, breathing as sleepily as possible, unmoving, looking through a thin sliver in your lashes and waiting for her breathing to regulate and return to slumber mode... the minutes tick by, and, a fresh breeze let in by the open window slams the door loudly shut! DAMN! You think to yourself. She bolts up and looks to see ‘who dunnit’. You manage to coax her back down, but by this time her eyes are wide open and she is on full alert- the chances of returning to sleep are evaporating by the second, and then the upstairs neighbors’ elephant of a child runs through their house, causing the likeness of small thunder over your heads. Well, that’s it. Sleep is now out of the question. I guess it’s time to get up and mangle some crackers.

2 comments:

  1. OK, I think I fixed the comments. I would love to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the description of the "elephant" child upstairs! That literally made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete